For those who are interested in joining the Catholic Church, a Catechetical Program is offered by the Order under the direction of the Grand Prior, Fr. Raymond V. Dunn, J.D., OSJ. Individuals who join the Catholic Church through this program may choose to join the Order after their conversion, or they may live their lives as Catholics without joining the Order. We welcome any individual into this program who wishes to serve Christ the King in the one, holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church.
• All individuals who are interested in joining the Order are required to take the Oath Against Modernism, which was written by Pope St. Pius X, prior to admission into the Order. A copy of the oath must be printed out, signed, and e-mailed to us at: KnightsofSaintJohn@gmail.com. The oath will be made publicly during the induction ceremony into the Order.
• Only priests may be memebrs of another order while they are active members of the Sovereign Order of Saint John of Jerusalem.
• No member of the Order may be a member of any secret, Masonic or anarchistic society or any other organization that has been condemned by the Catholic Church.
• All members of the Order of Saint John of Jerusalem are required to live according to the Code of the Sovereign Order of Saint John of Jerusalem.
• All members of the Order are required to wear the Maltese Cross.
• All members of the Order are required to be certified in CPR and First Aid. See the hospitaller requirements section for more information.
• All members of the Order are required to pray for the Catholic Church and the Pope with the prayers proscribed by Pope Leo XIII at least weekly. These prayers are said at the end of the Latin Mass.
• All members of the Order are asked to pray for our Spiritual Consultant, Bishop Joseph Mar Thomas, during the Mass in the prayers for the Church and Ecclesiastical Authorities.
• All members of the Order are asked to pray for the living and deceased members of the Order during the Mass at the Commemoration of the Living and the Commemoration of the Dead.
• All members of the Order are required to pray the Rosary, or a portion thereof, daily.
• All members of the Order are required to pray for their country and government at least weekly. For citizens of the United States of America, the Prayer for Our Government by Archbishop Caroll, A.D. 1800, is recommended.
• A number of Catholic liturgies have historically been used in the Order, including the Tridentine Mass, Eastern Catholic and Orthodox liturgies. The Latin Mass is and historically has been the form of the Roman Catholic liturgy that is used in the Order. When attending the Roman Catholic Mass, members who have been formally invested in the Order are required to attend this historical form of the liturgy. Liturgies from the Eastern Churches may also be attended.
• All knights, squires and legionnaires of St. John are required to maintain themselves in good physical condition. The FITT Principle should be used to guide physical training programs. Training programs should be sent to both the Grand Master and the Grand Marshal for review.
• All new members of the Order must complete the Admission Program after admission into the Order. Each individual must complete the program prior to his formal investiture.
• There is no application fee, and no fee for members in training. Please see the Schedule of Costs for more detailed information regarding the costs of membership in the Order.